The flu vaccine is the best available protection against the flu virus. It’s very safe, takes only a few minutes and will last around a year. The vaccine is offered each winter flu season, which lasts from October to March.
The following information advises on how the flu vaccine will be delivered across Ayrshire and Arran during winter 2020/21.
If you are eligible to receive the flu vaccine (see link below), you will receive a letter or text from your GP Practice letting you know how you can get this. The letter /text will advise you to call your GP Practice to make an appointment at a time suitable for you. Please keep the letter /text safe as you MUST take that with you when you attend for your flu vaccination or you may be unable to get it.
Eligible for Flu Vaccines
If you are unable to attend at your GP practice for your flu vaccine, you may also be able to get it at a participating Community Pharmacy, where a Pharmacy Form may be required (see attachments below). You should contact the pharmacy before attending for your flu vaccination. Again, you MUST take the letter / text you received from your GP Practice with you when attending.
Community Pharmacy List Pharmacy Form
Wherever you attend for your flu vaccination, you may notice some enhanced infection control measures in place to protect you and our staff. You should consider wearing appropriate, loose fitting clothing for easy access to where you will receive your vaccination (e.g. arm).
It is important that you also help to keep everyone safe by following the guidance below:
- Face coverings MUST be worn (unless you are exempt from wearing one
- On attending, please wear suitable loose clothing allowing quick and easy access to the area you wish your injection to be administered
- Please attend your appointment alone, if possible
- Please do not arrive too early or late for your appointment (keeping to your appointment time helps to minimise the number of people within the venue at the same time)
- Social Distancing measures must be adhered to
- Please ensure you listen carefully and follow instructions from staff at all times.
- DO NOT attend your appointment if:
- You have a high temperature, a new or continuous cough or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste
- You have been advised to self-isolate
If you are unable to attend your booked appointment, please call your GP practice at the earliest opportunity. This may also allow your appointment to be offered to someone else.
For further information on flu and the vaccine, you can visit https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/infections-and-poisoning/flu